Sunday 28 December 2014

Austrians vs Württenbergers in a 1809 fictional battle (26/12/2014)


We played a battle with the figures of Siegfried.
He and his brother Jochen were the Austrians, in the offsensive against A Württenberger force defending a village, played by me (Dirk) and Ronny. 
Ronny defended the village itself with 3 battalions of line infantry  and one of elite jägers. My troops consisted of 4 line battalions and of elite jägers.


 The Austrian force was on the right against the village: Jochen with 3 battalions of veteran grenadiers and 2 light cavalry Hussar regiments. Siegfried had 5 battalions of line infantry.
 Notwithstanding the small forces the game took almost 2 hours of play, due to very tactical fighting.

 The grenadiers went in the offensive against the village, but the leading battalions took losses from skirmish fire and rom the units in the buildingds and had to fall back after a while, but not before the Würtenberger jägers were driven back into the village.


I had deployed my jägers on the hill with an attached office. Siegfried, as a counter messure did send 2 battalions up hill and advanced with his other units towards my lines.  I was in a comfortable situation. The only thing that bothered was the cavalry that was a constant threat.

 My jägers kept the 2 oposing units bussy, inflicting flags, but not much losses.
But Jochen did send also one unit of grenadiers my way.  Ronny did  charge a weakend grenadier unit with his elite jägers that had reforemed to battle column, but notwithstanding the much higher number of dice only inflicted two casulaties and receveiving the same number. The next round the jägers were targeted by all the grenadier units reducing the unit to 3 figures.  On my side the firing casulaties were in balance. 

Finaly the Austrians played their gamble with a cavalry charge, which had a negative result for me, with higher casulaties my unit driven back. I was able to restore my defensive line, but the situation was deteriorating.  I had to gamble myself: attaching my general to the only unit in full stength and making a charge: A catastrophical outcome: my general had fallen. A renewed cavalry charge agaisnt one of my units resultated in the destruction of the charged unit and the supporting unit driven of the field. My command was broken, the battle lost.  Ronny leaving the cover of the buildings with his units far to late to make a difference. 



Conculsion: I a was beaten with my own tactics: creating a superiority in numbers while keeping a large force of the oponenet pinned with infirior numbers. Ronny stayed to long in the cover and should haven attacked the weakend grenadiers in full strenght but mostly my mistake not the advised him to to this.

1 comment:

  1. Great show again. 'Eye candy' as others sometimes put it. Played a nice small figures conflict too, a few days ago. Introducing an absolute inexperienced person to the wonderful world of 54mm figures gaming. Sure, to be using the 'About' rules. A success as one might call it. Hope to get some pics up here soon. Christmas holidays offer perfect chances for grab hold of the dice. Thanx for the contribution Siegfried, Jochen, Ronny and Dirk!

    ReplyDelete